Sunday, August 17, 2014

Camden Bailey is 12!!

Camden has changed a lot this year. He's faced his disappointment of moving from the states head on and moved from angry to learning to deal, and from learning to deal to acceptance, and from acceptance to contentment . I have been so proud of him. He definitely hasn't become "Guatemalan" by any means, and I can't say that he embraces everything about the culture, but he HAS learned to be content. And that's a big lesson to learn at eleven years old. And it was a lesson he had to learn mostly on his own. Blake and I couldn't do it for him.




I also can see his growth as we start school this year. He is focused, has a good attitude, and tries hard. I breathe a sigh of relief and gratitude every day. I am not an "everyone should home school" fanatic, but for me personally I am so, so very thankful that I get to be his teacher. He loves to discuss what he is learning. It means it takes us longer to get through subjects, but more importantly it means he's enjoying learning and that makes me very happy!




He gets things now that would go over his head just a few months ago. And he says things that are really funny. Not like cute funny. But funny funny. And when he laughs his eyes laugh and it's fantastic. He and I have a similar sense of humor so a lot of times we are laughing way after Blake has quit. (while poor Hope is still trying to figure out what is going on) This is probably my most favorite thing about our relationship right now....laughing our heads off together.




He is still as much of a dare devil as ever, if not more so. I am so thankful to the Lord that he hasn't hurt himself badly. I want him to continue to love adventure and try new things and challenge himself so I let him do a lot of things that I can't actually watch him do or it will freak me out.




Camden loves drawing, action hero movies, and mine craft. He wants to do something behind the scenes with movies one day, and he is adamant that he will live in Texas forever once he moves back from Guatemala. He really can't figure out why there is anyone in the world that DOESN'T want to live in Texas. He wants to get married one day to a girl that doesn't like "fancy food."




Tonight we went to his favorite place for dinner: Luna de Miel. He gets the same thing every time a ham and cheese crepe and a Dama Blanca...which is a huge ice cream with chocolate syrup. I think it's hilarious that his favorite thing is a crepe and an ice cream named: "White Woman" at  restaurant that translates "Honeymoon". We told him as we ate all the things that we have seen him grow in this year. It was very touching as long as you could ignore Hope whining, "How come you didn't say anything nice to me on MY birthday?"




I get how Camden's mind works a lot of the time, and understand his struggles because I have struggled or am still struggling in the same way and fashion.  This way of being able to relate to him means I can feel his pain inside of my own self. It is really cool, but it's hard. He feels things deeply and over a long period of time. He asks himself (and us) hard questions and wrestles with them. He needs time alone, yet also craves close relationship. But then he doesn't quite know what to do with himself in big settings of people, and can sometimes be a tad awkward. Wow! That looks familiar. I find myself trying to explain to Blake where Camden is coming from pretty frequently.




For as much as he is like me however, he is still very different in that he is all boy. He can't be still. Can't just walk through a room and not do something to Hope or I...poke us in the ribs, mess up our hair, scream that he sees a bug, etc... He leaves cabinets open, dirty clothes in the bathroom, and crawls up on all beds with filthy feet from playing outside barefoot. He drives us girls in this house crazy but we miss him like crazier when he's gone for more than just a little while. He is just so cute, we can't stay frustrated with him.




I feel honored to be a front row observer as his mom and his teacher in the next year and see the continued growth and maturity that happens. I know deep down that Jesus has a plan for him and that He is preparing him. I hope and pray that I do my part well in helping him become the man that he is called to be.

Camden Bailey I believe in you. You ARE and you are GOING TO BE just amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Vale La Pena

I submitted my last final of the semester around lunch time, texted my mom that I was done, and then stood at the glass door looking out...